Author Topic: Not *f-bomb*ing with Peoples' Accounts  (Read 3805 times)

Cairnius

Not *f-bomb*ing with Peoples' Accounts
« on: April 18, 2008, 07:32:12 PM »
Very funny, giving me a custom icon I didn't ask for - but just like we're watching our language due to certain conventions of internet behavior, likewise it's considered extremely *f-bomb*ing rude to mess with someone's accounts on a forum.    It's quite unacceptable.

Let's make this the last time, shall we?   To me OR anyone else?

K thx bai

Offline NallTWD

• Meganob
  • Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Tyler Barg
Re: Not laliluleloing with Peoples' Accounts
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 07:47:38 PM »
WTF are you talking about?
Death from a creature that has HOOVES FOR HANDS.

Offline NecronAdvance

• ardBoy
  • Paulbert Pennybottom
    • EvilDice40k
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »
He seemed to have had an icon earlier (and correct me if I'm wrong) of col. Klink from Hogans Hero's. I actually laughed pretty hard. But I thought it was dennis' idea. Thats laliluleloed up man, who the hell did that? 
Q - You hit me! Picard never hit me.
The Sisko - I'm not Picard.

-The Sisko gives NO F*cks

Offline NallTWD

• Meganob
  • Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Tyler Barg
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:16:41 PM »
laliluleloed? I- Oh! I get it, board censor.  Gotcha.
Death from a creature that has HOOVES FOR HANDS.

Offline Caramel KHORNE!

• Runtherd
  • InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
  • Dr. John Anonymous, M.D., M.P.H.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 08:19:43 PM »
Yeah I figured Dennis did that himself. ???  I thought it was a fabulously clever avatar.  That means time I see you, Dennis I can't go "I zee NUSSING!" and have it be funny.  :'(
All space marines are brainwashed idiot savant children fired like missiles into untenable situations by the limp fingers of their corpse-god, except the ones who mutated a prefrontal cortex somewhere along the way and quit to join the real humanists.

Cairnius

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 08:43:35 PM »
I caught it quickly and changed it back (actually made a better version of my Iron Cross in the process), but whoever the kobslobber is who did it knows I'm talking to them, and we can leave it there.

Offline Sapphon

• Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Connor S.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 10:32:24 PM »
Oh man, Dennis, I was going to give you all the credit for that fabulous avatar.  When I saw it, I wished I had had that idea.  Now I owe someone else a beer.

As great as it was, though, I do not approve of changing others' icons/sigs/whatever without asking.
"...And to dispel any doubts you might be entertaining about my honor now that you know I'm a woman and have seen me young, alone, and in these clothes - circumstances that coming together or even taken separately would be enough to demolish any reputation - I feel..."

Dorotea, Don Quixote

Offline Perturabo

• Warboss
  • InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
  • Shawn M Burke
Re: Not fraking with Peoples' Accounts
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 05:55:56 PM »
Sorry I just read this today. IT WAS ME who changed your pic Dennis. The only reason I did was because I thought we were friends and  that you could take a joke without making it a big deal. I have had my changed in the past and it never really bothered me I just changed it back. I thought you would get a kick out of it. If I have at all insulted you or anyone else I am sorry I will not joke like that again with you.

SORRY ARDBOYZ :(  Fifty Lashings To Me
SHAWN
When you walk up to opportunities door, don't knock it.....
Kick that B**tch in ,smile and introduce yourself.

Cairnius

Re: Not frakking with Peoples' Accounts
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 08:44:18 PM »
Just to make sure this is all understood correctly:

We ARE friends, Shawn, and I CAN take a joke.  I don't honestly think I'm "making a big deal" about this - that implies creating an issue where one does not exist and is rather dismissive in tone (at least when I use it).

In my online courses (some of which I build and teach, most of which I just build and administrate) we tell the new students about"Netiquette," which is one of the worst words I have ever seen or used but it gets the point across to noobs.   You know, the accepted standards of behavior online - treat people as if they were "real" people and use the same level of decorum you would in person, don't curse up a storm, etc.   Like the rules for "mixed company" in the real world.

Part of this informal system of ethics are limitations on what a Moderator is expected to do, or ought to be able to do.  My wife has been community-building and modding for years now, and I've been participating in online communities for a decade or so, but there are certain things you aren't expected to worry about it in an online community:

1) Having your account settings changed by a Mod
2) Having your Private Messages read by a Mod
3) Having your post content altered arbitrarily by a Mod
Etc. 

Mods exist to monitor for inappropriate content and keep the peace, but that's about it.

Now, had you publicly identified yourself as the person who did that immediately after doing it, Shawn, I WOULD have laughed about it, AND might even have kept the new icon for a while as it amused everyone so much - but all I knew was that some anonymous person had frakked with my account without so much as a by your leave.   THAT is what I was pissed about, and only that.

You didn't insult anyone, bud - you just crossed an etiquette line I don't think you knew existed OR that other people took seriously, so no harm done!   Feel free to joke with me like that in person so that I can immediately retort to your shenanigans. :)

I'll send you an email address you can send that icon to, if you still have it lying around. :)

Offline Perturabo

• Warboss
  • InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
  • Shawn M Burke
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 04:28:45 PM »
Dennis,
  Neither I or the other Moderators needed a lecture on how to do our jobs.  A joke is a joke that is all it was. I will not joke with you anymore.  I do not wanna go back and forth with this anymore. I have nothing more to say about it.
When you walk up to opportunities door, don't knock it.....
Kick that B**tch in ,smile and introduce yourself.

Cairnius

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 11:59:02 PM »
Dennis,
  Neither I or the other Moderators needed a lecture on how to do our jobs.  A joke is a joke that is all it was. I will not joke with you anymore.  I do not wanna go back and forth with this anymore. I have nothing more to say about it.

It wasn't a lecture, Shawn - it was information you didn't seem to have, and which I felt you needed if you truly thought I was "making a big deal."

I wasn't - and I just wanted to say why I didn't think so.

I'll consider the matter closed, as well.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.