Author Topic: Flames of War forum  (Read 8031 times)

Cairnius

Flames of War forum
« on: March 28, 2008, 06:22:23 PM »
As Leland and I and Jared are starting up Flames of War a.s.a.p. and are hoping to inspire others to follow suit, may we have a FoW forum set up?

We've already had some conversations about the game during club nights that I'd love to address here on the boards so I don't have to have the same conversation multiple times with people. :)

Thanks, George (or whoever else would do this for us).

ON EDIT: Eric Von already has a FoW army, forgot to mention that...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 07:15:09 PM by Cairnius »

Offline Shas'ui car'oll

• Non-Members
  • Skarboy
  • carroll
Re: Flames of War forum
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:09:51 AM »

ON EDIT: Eric Von already has a FoW army, forgot to mention that...

what does this kid not have

Offline NecronAdvance

• ardBoy
  • Paulbert Pennybottom
    • EvilDice40k
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:25:28 AM »
ehh, as long as he gets enjoyment out of it, i say whatever.
Q - You hit me! Picard never hit me.
The Sisko - I'm not Picard.

-The Sisko gives NO F*cks

Cairnius

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »
Can we possibly turn the wheels a little faster on getting the forum up for Flames of War?   I'm anxious to start talking about it.   I'd love to inspire some more people to give it a try - it's cheap to get started and I really, really like the ruleset so far.

Offline Caramel KHORNE!

• Runtherd
  • InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
  • Dr. John Anonymous, M.D., M.P.H.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 05:31:24 PM »
PM Geroge(DarkApostleSilas) as he is our resident (or non-resident, as it were) webmeister.
All space marines are brainwashed idiot savant children fired like missiles into untenable situations by the limp fingers of their corpse-god, except the ones who mutated a prefrontal cortex somewhere along the way and quit to join the real humanists.

Offline Shas'ui car'oll

• Non-Members
  • Skarboy
  • carroll
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 05:46:31 PM »
Can we possibly turn the wheels a little faster on getting the forum up for Flames of War?   I'm anxious to start talking about it.   I'd love to inspire some more people to give it a try - it's cheap to get started and I really, really like the ruleset so far.
what is cheap

Offline Sword Brethren

• InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
  • Luis Rivero
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »
Dennis i looked into doing this for you, but i don't have rights to create new forums.
Remember: if you see something, say nothing. And drink to forget. - Cecil, NVCR

Cairnius

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 06:22:29 PM »
Thanks for looking, Luis.

EDITED TO GIVE YOU MORE DETAILS, CARROLL:

Cheap...well, my Gerpantze Panzergrenadier Kompanie is tricked out with mechanized transport options and the models come to $260 if I order them from The War Store.   You get very small discounts on things, like maybe $5 off something big.    The army would be even cheaper if I dropped the options.

It's a kick ass army with a Company HQ with two Sd Kfz 251/1s, two Panzergrenadier Platoons of two squads each and a Sd Kfz 251/10 for each of the two Command Teams and two Sd Kfz 251/1s per Platoon, an Armored Heavy Platoon with four MG42 HMG squads and Command SMG team, with three Sd Kfz 251/1 transports for them, a Mobilized Artillery Battery with four 10.5cm leFH18 guns each with a Sd Kfz 11 to lug them around plus two Panzer II tanks as Observers (plus the Command and Staff teams with Kfz 15 field car and Kfz 68 radio truck respectively), three Jagdpanzer IV tank hunters, and three StuH42 assault guns.

This is an army which will be competitive by any measure I can see so far.    If the game design aims for historical accuracy, which I believe it does, this is not an army to trifle with.   It's more defensive than an Early war Blitzkreig army, but for the time period we're playing in it is accurate.

Whereas for 40K even if had ordered everything from The War Store:

1st Ed. Battleforce, Scout Snipers, Scouts, Commander, two squads of Assault Marines, two Tac Squads, Combat Squad, Dev Squad, two Razorback squads, Vindicator, Marneus Calgar, Tigurius, Chaplain, Librarian, Chaplain with Jump Pack, three Tornadoes, Land Raider Crusader, two Predators, two Dreadnoughts, a Venerable Dreadnought, and the Battle for Macragge - total price $953 dollars

With 20% discount, it's still 763 dollars which is only $17 short of being three times the cost of my Flames of War army, and I can't put anything together with my Ultramarines which is going to be nearly as consistently-competitive as my Panzergrenadier Kompanie looks to be.

I'll confirm that in six months or so.  :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 06:46:22 PM by Cairnius »

Offline Caramel KHORNE!

• Runtherd
  • InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 06:59:32 PM »
I'm annoyed that Army Builder doesn't have the Soviet units so I can't play around with list ideas. =P
The "1500pt Army Deal" seems as bad as the larger GW sets in that it doesn't give you anythign solid, just a smattering of everything.  I've also been told that Soviets suffer greatly in all but a few specific engagements.
All space marines are brainwashed idiot savant children fired like missiles into untenable situations by the limp fingers of their corpse-god, except the ones who mutated a prefrontal cortex somewhere along the way and quit to join the real humanists.

Cairnius

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 07:00:53 PM »
Army Builder doesn't have the Soviets?   That's kind of retarded...they're one of the major armies in the game.

Meh, I like working with Excel, anyway.

EDIT:

Fred, do you remember the discount you and Tyler got from that GW store that closed a while back?   Tyler and you picked me up my Marneus Calgar and Tigurius there but I don't remember what it cost me.

I'm trying to figure out how much I actually spent on models for 40K...

ON EDIT:

Best estimation for now, I have spent $386 on models myself, and had $444 spent on me for holidays and such.   That's $830 on models for an army which still sucks. lol
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:46:15 PM by Cairnius »

Offline Bustafer Jones

• Non-Members
  • ardBoy
  • Leland Smith
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 07:18:05 PM »
Fred,

If it would entice you, you are welcome to peruse/borrow my book anytime.  As for soviets, Tank companies will likely give anyone a run for their money, despite the "Hen and Chicks" rule (where you have to keep you unit clustered together, so that the commander can litterally shout orders to the platoon.  Radiois?  Who needs 'em.  This is Russia, dammit!).  Also, an infantry squad is normally pinned after 5 hits in a shooting phase, but the reds are only pinned after 10, and are fearless, so they break the pin on a 2+.  If they fail thta, the commisar can let them reroll.  if the fail THAT, then the platoon kills the Commisar overseer and cowars in fear, but seriously, you'd need my kind of luck to pull that off.  So, while soviet infantry may not be very good, they sure are about 1000 of them in a company, and they don't slow down for much.

Also, soviet arty is as sick as it comes.  If i recollect correctly (<=heh!) a normal full strangth battery is 6 guns, americans do i better with 8, and the Red Menace says "F#^$% everything we are going to shot them with TWELVE GODDAMN 105 HOWITZERS, LETS SEE THOSE STOOPID KRAUTS GET BACK UP AFTER THAT!"

So, while im sure the Soviets suffer in plenty of curcumstances, they tend to have the excessive numbers to press on, and would intimidate my small, mixeds force quite easily.
"Pod 6 doesn't need a pro-shop; they need a dentist!"

-Captain Hank Murphy

Offline Caramel KHORNE!

• Runtherd
  • InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 07:29:19 PM »
You sir, have intrigued me.  I have a certain affinity for SMG that looks like they're made out of trash can lids and are.

Out of curiosity, what is the stance on heroes or famous characters.  Do you have to be playing one of the battles they took part in?  Special character seem to range from "Almost never." to the GW "Sure, we won't punish you in any way but people will frown upon it"  all the way to Privateer Press' "Named Characters are everywhere!  You must use one!  He may fight his twin brother but its cool cause that totally happens al the time in our world!"

Yes, I want me some Vasili Zaytsev.  ;)

Dennis: Did you get the MC full box (dude and honor guard) or just the model?  Tigerius is usually $20 so with the dicount he prolly came to $8-10.

Offline Bustafer Jones

• Non-Members
  • ardBoy
  • Leland Smith
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 07:50:37 PM »
There are named chracters, but they all fall under the special rule for "Warrior" teams.  Basically, they are persistant little buggers, who, if taken out, get what ammounts to a 4+ regeneration save.  So say your tank warrior gets his ass blown up.  The tank is dead, no help for it.  But on a 4+, you see the top hatch force open with superhuman effort, and your super badass steps out, al little bloddied, but mostly just pissed off.  he stomps over to the nearest tank in his platoon, hauls the commander out of the cupola, and takes over.

Vasili Zaytsev has his own model (he comes with a frack-ton of sniper pals, too) and i'm unaware of any extra special rules for him.  The general sense i get from the chracters is that they add just a little boost--far far from the herohammer we know so well--but that thier tenacity can hold a flank of stiffen the resolve of thier squads enough so that with judicious use, they can turn a loss into a draw, or a draw into a win.

Also, you totally get tons of trash lid SMGs.  You can get tank riders, too, for a little extra meatsheild when those AT rounds come whipping in.

Oh, soviet air support is pretty sweet too.  everyone else tend to have either fighters or ground pounders, but the soviet planes all have MGs, Cannons, and bombs, and a rule called "flying tanks" whihc i haven't read, but assume means that those german flak guns just aren't going to cut it.
"Pod 6 doesn't need a pro-shop; they need a dentist!"

-Captain Hank Murphy

Cairnius

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 07:51:08 PM »
I got the full MC box.

Here's an example of a Warrior in FoW: Hons von Luck of 21. Panzerdivision: 

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=566

He fought on every front in the war, was one of the only German commanders to react competently to the D-Day invasion (if they had all done so the Allies might have been denied their foothold) - a real professional soldier.

He costs 25 points on foot, 75 points more if you put him in a Panzer IV H.

If you blow up his tank and he bails out, he can commandeer the next tank in his platoon.

His special rules:

- Major von Luck, and any platoon he leads, may re-roll failed Skill Tests to make Stormtrooper moves. (stormtrooper moves, if I recall correction, are roughly analogous to Fleet of Foot I think.   There is a test to make first I think, and a price for failure I believe).

- Major von Luck always starts the game off table in Reserve. The German player may re-roll one die each turn when rolling for Reserves. When the first unit arrives from Reserve, von Luck arrives with that unit.

If there are no reserves in the mission, von Luck is still in reserve and rolls to arrive as per the reserves rule with the exception of re-rolling as above. He will then arrive anywhere on the German table edge when successful.

- Unless he has joined a platoon, von Luck may Disengage as if he were a Recce team. Because of his experience, he is never Forced to Disengage

Nothing too dramatic, I don't think.   Basically, like the historical figure, he shows up late and orders all available units to counterattack when he shows up, which is pretty much what he did in real life.

To use him, however, you HAVE to be fielding the 21. Panzerdivision, and there's a special Intelligence Book whose ruleset you have to be using.

One neat thing about Flames of War is that every Intelligence Book gives you all the army lists for each faction's forces in that particular timeframe and geographical location.   In essence, you get the "Codex" for each army you might be facing.

The one limitation of FoW which has already made itself apparent to me, and which Connor has spoken to me about, is that you have limited missions you can run with some of the Intelligence Books.   There's an IB for D-Day, for example.    The Hans von Luck book is called "Monty's Meatgrinder" and is about the Battle of Caen which took place over a couple of months in 1944.

So, outside of that period, I believe the Intelligence Book is sort of worthless...

We chose to use the "Festung Europa" IB because it covers such a wide breadth of time and location - January to August of 1944.

I would probably need an army for each front, though.   Historical accuracy seems to be a general aim of FoW, think of it as "enforced fluffiness."   If I'm going to be the token German in the club for a while, I need to be able to fight in different theaters realistically.

Which means if and when anyone wants to fight in Afrika, I need ANOTHER army...but I could field three German armies for the price of my single Ultramarines force, and that's without being sparing with the Warriors or add-ons for my platoons...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:58:34 PM by Cairnius »

Offline Sapphon

• Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Connor S.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 08:50:28 PM »
1944 huh?  Be careful of all the nice goodies you will be tempted with.  Tigers and Panthers are wonderful examples of Germans being better at life than basically everyone else, but the soviets can have many many T34's for the same price.
"...And to dispel any doubts you might be entertaining about my honor now that you know I'm a woman and have seen me young, alone, and in these clothes - circumstances that coming together or even taken separately would be enough to demolish any reputation - I feel..."

Dorotea, Don Quixote