Author Topic: Karma system  (Read 3777 times)

Cairnius

Karma system
« on: February 05, 2008, 07:38:57 PM »
Suggestion: get rid of it.  It's extraneous and meaningless and already caused one of us grief.

Offline Sapphon

• Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Connor S.
Re: Karma system
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 09:49:36 AM »
*smites Dennis*

...Just kidding.  I don't really see a use for it either.
"...And to dispel any doubts you might be entertaining about my honor now that you know I'm a woman and have seen me young, alone, and in these clothes - circumstances that coming together or even taken separately would be enough to demolish any reputation - I feel..."

Dorotea, Don Quixote

Offline Crystalmonkey

• Non-Members
  • Boy
  • Paul Moore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:51:54 AM »
Yeah, especially with that nasty disease Foruminous Goblinitus going around.
You're preaching to the Hive Mind Choir.

Cairnius

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 11:01:40 AM »
I'm curious as to why we put it here in the first place.   Just seems like a lightning rod for drama.   Like I said elsewhere, I've been on a LOT of message boards in my time and have never seen something like this before.   Is it just part of the board software that cannot be removed?   Otherwise, if it's just an option setting, it could be switched off unless someone has some overwhelmingly rational justification per its utility to the club...

Offline Bustafer Jones

• Non-Members
  • ardBoy
  • Leland Smith
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 11:21:02 AM »
It does make sense on a larger board.  New member can get a sense of who is reliable and helpful through their karma rating and post number.  However, on this sclae, where we all know eachother in "real life" as it were, we know who is helpful and who's adcive we should heed.  Karma is a little superfluous in our case.
"Pod 6 doesn't need a pro-shop; they need a dentist!"

-Captain Hank Murphy

Cairnius

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:53:53 AM »
Even on a large board I don't think this sort of system is of much utility.   My wife runs an internet community of 3,000 people, and I've spent lots of time online myself, and I see the pattern all the time - you can have very post-heavy users who aren't of much help at all.   Post count just means the person spends a lot of time online.    Likewise, this sort of "karma" system can be as representative of how many people on the board the user is friendly with as it is a measure of their "helpfulness."

If you want to make a determination as to someone's helpfulness and the potential value of their advice, you actually have to read their posts.   If you don't have the time to do that, an internet community is probably not the place for you.

One thing I like about 40K is that, by and large, the people who play it aren't idiots.   They can't be.   The game is too complicated to allow for it.   I think we can therefore afford to take it for granted that people here will actually be reading posts and are bright enough to discern who is likely to help them and who isn't.

ON EDIT:

Example given of the lunacy of the current system...I threw Tyler an "applaud" last night just to get him out of the negatives, and I notice that he's now at -1?   So, someone threw him a "smite" even though he isn't posting on the boards right now! *rolls eyes*
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:27:57 PM by Cairnius »

Offline Sapphon

• Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Connor S.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 03:18:55 PM »
One thing I like about 40K is that, by and large, the people who play it aren't idiots.   They can't be.   The game is too complicated to allow for it. 

I've got to disagree with that.
"...And to dispel any doubts you might be entertaining about my honor now that you know I'm a woman and have seen me young, alone, and in these clothes - circumstances that coming together or even taken separately would be enough to demolish any reputation - I feel..."

Dorotea, Don Quixote

Offline Bustafer Jones

• Non-Members
  • ardBoy
  • Leland Smith
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 03:27:56 PM »
Word.

I'm at 17, and i can't even type straight.  I think i win teh internet, though.

See, i couldn;t even get through teh sentence withough a typo!
"Pod 6 doesn't need a pro-shop; they need a dentist!"

-Captain Hank Murphy

Cairnius

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 04:03:27 PM »
I've got to disagree with that.

Which part?   That the game is complicated, or that by and large the people who play it aren't idiots?

Note "by and large."   Means "most, but not all," just to clarify what you might be disagreeing with.

And we might also want to define "idiot."   No one with a level of intelligence low enough for me to call them an "idiot" could possibly remember all the myriad rules that go into a game of 40K.

Offline Caramel KHORNE!

• Runtherd
  • InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
  • Dr. John Anonymous, M.D., M.P.H.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 04:42:18 PM »
And we might also want to define "idiot."   No one with a level of intelligence low enough for me to call them an "idiot" could possibly remember all the myriad rules that go into a game of 40K.

The same could be argued for any major sport and yet, here we are, in a world with many knowledgable idiots.
All space marines are brainwashed idiot savant children fired like missiles into untenable situations by the limp fingers of their corpse-god, except the ones who mutated a prefrontal cortex somewhere along the way and quit to join the real humanists.

Offline foehammer

• Kartografar
  • Non-Members
  • ardBoy
  • Josh Danker
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »
My degrees are mostly in systems/hardware safety, human factors and ergonomics engineering. One of my professors once told my class in a lecture:

"There is no such thing as definitive proof that someone is not an idiot. There is only ever varying levels of evidence to the contrary."

After 2 years of work in the engineering industry, I have yet to find one instance that proves him wrong.  As for the following:

Very few of us actually remember all the myriad rules of 40k or fantasy. Event people who work for GW in their store who are exposed to this stuff on a daily basis still have to look alot of things up. Memorization and recall are also not fantastic measures of intelligence. Some of the dumbest people I have ever met could rattle-off the batting averages of dozens if not hundreds of baseball players going back several decades.

I can already see this tangent coming.

Josh

Cairnius

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 12:32:28 AM »
I know that the internet doesn't convey tone...but come on, fellas.    The sarcasm in my last voice was absolutely dripping off the text.

I wasn't asking for a debate as to the nature of intelligence.  Let's qualify this, then: I don't think that anyone I speak to on a regular basis at the 'Ard Boyz is an "idiot" by any definition.   Nor is anyone I've ever played against outside the club.   Take that how you will.

Offline foehammer

• Kartografar
  • Non-Members
  • ardBoy
  • Josh Danker
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 07:18:37 AM »
Let's qualify this, then: I don't think that anyone I speak to on a regular basis at the 'Ard Boyz is an "idiot" by any definition.
That depends on if you ask my wife about me... ;D

Ok, all kidding aside, I don't see the purpose of the system either. I didn't even know what the heck it was until this whole "Karma system" discussion started. Did those little numbers under peoples' names actually upset/bother cause someone grief? The numbers don't even have value. Its not like we shun those with low numbers, or revere those with high numbers.

Hell, I have a 13, and I have no freak'n idea how I got it.

If someone's doing/saying something you don't like, PM them. If that doesn't work, act like you've got a pair and take them aside on thursday and talk it over. I seriously doubt the 'Ardboyz will ever have a problem between members that can't be solved through either of those two means.

Anonymous flogging by clicking a button doesn't really accomplish anything.

Josh
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:23:49 AM by foehammer »

Offline Caramel KHORNE!

• Runtherd
  • InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
  • Dr. John Anonymous, M.D., M.P.H.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 07:37:20 AM »
I knew you were being sarcastic, I was just taking a cheap shot at the proles.  ;)
We should just set up a script that changes everyone's number abitrarily, so that it's meaninglessness is obvious.
All space marines are brainwashed idiot savant children fired like missiles into untenable situations by the limp fingers of their corpse-god, except the ones who mutated a prefrontal cortex somewhere along the way and quit to join the real humanists.

Cairnius

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »
Proles.   Heh.  2 + 2 = 5.

Josh, someone did get perturbed about the numbers, which is why I started this thread to poll everyone's opinions.

Hopefully George (our resident webmaster) will say something as to whether or not this is an integral part of the software we're using, in which case we're screwed and just have to shrug and deal, or whether it's a setting that can be switched.   I don't use SMF and neither does my wife...I could do the research but didn't see the need just yet.

If we don't get an answer soon I"ll look into it...