Author Topic: Fluff?  (Read 4943 times)

Cairnius

Fluff?
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:26:40 PM »
So, I finished up the fluff for my army specifically for the recent singles tourney...and it was utterly pointless, in terms of the tourney.  Not that I expected anyone to read it - we're too busy - but I did wonder a little why I bothered to bring it along...

I got to post the completed stuff on Bolter and Chainsword, though, which was cool.

Anyway, so I'm working up some fluff for Leland and my team-up on Feb. 23rd.   If you want an explanation as to why the Deathwing and the Ultramarines 2nd Company would work together, you're getting it...and I'll bring that to the tourney, but again, no one is going to get to read it other than the people on Bolter and Chainsword if they feel so inclined.

This got me thinking - who else here writes fluff?   Enough to support a fluff section on the boards?   If not, no worries, the B&C Librarium gives me a publishing outlet (LOL!) but I wouldn't mind some of the people from my own club getting to read my stuff, if they feel so inclined...

...but only if I'm not the only one putting stuff up in such a prospective forum.

Offline NallTWD

• Meganob
  • Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Tyler Barg
Re: Fluff?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:55:03 PM »
I'm all for a background section of the boards to better explain our armies.  We have a painting and modelling place to show off that, so why not a place to show off the depth we give our forces?
Death from a creature that has HOOVES FOR HANDS.

Offline Sapphon

• Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Connor S.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:06:18 PM »
I certainly have some stuff I'd post.
"...And to dispel any doubts you might be entertaining about my honor now that you know I'm a woman and have seen me young, alone, and in these clothes - circumstances that coming together or even taken separately would be enough to demolish any reputation - I feel..."

Dorotea, Don Quixote

Offline NecronAdvance

• ardBoy
  • Paulbert Pennybottom
    • EvilDice40k
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 11:06:28 PM »
i have the stories in my head. it would be nice to get a place to jot them down. i would probably only have a background story for them. i'm still working on my tau story line and am fairly certain where i want to go with them. im really not sure where to go for the background of my necrons. since i play with a lot of destroyers and immortals, i will probably have some sort of fluff saying they are the only true legion to have necrontyr who fully accepted the metal bodies or some crap like that. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Q - You hit me! Picard never hit me.
The Sisko - I'm not Picard.

-The Sisko gives NO F*cks

Cairnius

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 12:03:53 AM »
i have the stories in my head. it would be nice to get a place to jot them down. i would probably only have a background story for them. i'm still working on my tau story line and am fairly certain where i want to go with them. im really not sure where to go for the background of my necrons. since i play with a lot of destroyers and immortals, i will probably have some sort of fluff saying they are the only true legion to have necrontyr who fully accepted the metal bodies or some crap like that. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You gotta come up with your own fluff, IMHO.   People can refer you to background information, or provide editing feedback once a draft is prepared, but in my experience as a writer, but it's your army, so only you can tell their story.

My suggestion would be to surf the web for other Necron fluff.    See how others tackle the subject matter.   That might give you ideas on how to proceed, and how not to proceed.

Offline NecronAdvance

• ardBoy
  • Paulbert Pennybottom
    • EvilDice40k
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 12:07:16 AM »
i'm just not sure how the necrons are from their own point of view. thats my only real problem. sure the necrontyr are easy. people who are pissed because they only live for 25-30 years or so and resent life. but then they become robot slaves to the Ctan... what after that? i think i'll stick to my tau fluff for now.
Q - You hit me! Picard never hit me.
The Sisko - I'm not Picard.

-The Sisko gives NO F*cks

Offline NallTWD

• Meganob
  • Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Tyler Barg
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 12:25:54 AM »
Paul- Refer to the Death of Medusa V storylines for a really up close and personal look at how the Necrons think, work and feel.  Despite being immortal slaves, they still think and have memories, but experience only the emotions relevant to finding victory and still, to this day (60 million years later) harbor only hate for all living things.  But, what's really of interest is how the C'tan treat them, and even better, punish them.

Offline VortexCortex

• Mad Dok
  • InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
  • Kevin Doherty
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 02:10:39 AM »
I'd also suggest 'Caves of Ice' by Sandy Mitchell for a small glimpse into the Necron's habitat and homelife.

Offline Faithial Burns

• ardBoy
  • Henry
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 02:29:57 AM »
Caves of Ice is tricky to find these days, but it is contained within the Ciaphas Cain omnibus(along with a short story concerning the Necrons). I personally love the series.

Offline siphon101

• ardBoy
  • Lee G
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 10:38:55 PM »
But, what's really of interest is how the C'tan treat them, and even better, punish them.

Best part of that campaign.  Well...you failed, so, I'm just gonna take this staff here, and I'm going to seal your legs to the earth, and I will strip you of all your emotions except for the ability to feel rage, and um..I'll be back in 100,000 years when the storm ends for your real punishment, so until then, just sit here and think about what you've done, ok?

Offline NallTWD

• Meganob
  • Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Tyler Barg
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 11:17:57 PM »
He left him with DESPAIR, not rage.

Offline Sanctjud

• Non-Members
  • ardBoy
  • Andrew Lee
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 12:46:57 AM »

Papa nurgle is always happy with that kind of transaction.

-Andrew
There is no 'I' in team, but there's a 'M' and an 'E'.

"combi-plasmeltamers."  On Terminators FTW ! ROFL.

Cairnius

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »
Check it out...they "published" my fluff on Bolter and Chainsword:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=239

Offline Sapphon

• Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Connor S.
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 10:42:57 PM »
i'm just not sure how the necrons are from their own point of view. thats my only real problem. sure the necrontyr are easy. people who are pissed because they only live for 25-30 years or so and resent life.

I love Necron fluff overall, but that is so absolutely whack.  You don't know that your life is 'short' because there is an objective standard; you only know it's short if you have something 'long' to compare it to.  By the logic that says the Necrontyr wents nuts long ago because they only like to 25-30, humanity should be going bat*stuff* insane in the 41st millennium because they live from between 40 (for the poor) to 300 (for the elite) but they know Eldar live thousands of years.
"...And to dispel any doubts you might be entertaining about my honor now that you know I'm a woman and have seen me young, alone, and in these clothes - circumstances that coming together or even taken separately would be enough to demolish any reputation - I feel..."

Dorotea, Don Quixote

Offline NallTWD

• Meganob
  • Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Tyler Barg
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 10:56:33 PM »
Still, living on Terra or one of the myriad of human worlds isn't so bad.  IN the end, we have the Emperor to protect us, and our ships last thousands and thousands of years.  On top of that, we have the undying legions of guard and the Space Marines themselves to make sure no matter what, we're good to go as humans.  Life is still meaningful planet to planet.

The Tyr we're so lucky.  They were placed under a high-radiation star and their bodies actually bubbled up like lab rats with various and horrible cancers.  They had no structure to making lasting impressions, past the faceless machinations of their living metal that remembers nothing and no one.  In the end, I think its their bitterness towards the early races that visited them all happy and their societal structure where no one meant anything that drove them to make the deal with the C'tan. 

Humans are like 'Puh! Infinite life.  When I die, I get to go to the Emperor!' as opposed to the "When I die, i leave this universe forvever and leave nothing behind but my putrid, horrible corpse." of the Necrons.  Being human ain't so bad.