Author Topic: Changes to the Arrangement Between the 'Ard Boyz and Pandemonium  (Read 1297 times)

Offline smoagendash

• Non-Members
  • Grot
Dear 'Arvard 'ArdBoyz,

This is Tyler Stewart, owner of Pandemonium Books & Games here.   I have a problem, and I think it's a pretty big one.

About 2 weeks ago Matt Arnold and I sat down with Fred Janney to discuss roping off most of Pandemonium's downstairs area for the ArdBoyz's exclusive use on Thursday nights.   There were a number of good reasons for giving the ArdBoyz their own turf, but I did have one major concern:  the attitude problem that too many members seem to have.  I had received complaints from customers over the years, and feared that giving the club additional privilege might fuel bad behavior.  Fred assured me that this wouldn't be a problem, and so the ArdBoyz got their turf. 

Sadly, what I have feared has come to pass.  I got an email this morning:

Eli Meyer wrote:

Hi Tyler,

This evening I arrived at Pandemonium around 5pm to play Magic.  At 6, a very tall gentleman with a shaved head--I believe he is a community leader of the 'Arvard 'Ardboyz--told us we had to leave.  I didn't appreciate being told to leave, instead of asked, and I didn't appreciate being rushed when there were five or six other unused tables around us for wargamers to set up on.  However, I know that Thursday is Warhammer night, so I said "yeah, sure," and began to wrap up my game.

This apparently wasn't good enough for the gentleman.  He immediately launched into an angry lecture, telling me that I "shouldn't just 'yeah' him" and that I needed to listen to him and acknowledge him when he talked.  His manner was domineering and intimidating, and his behavior was entirely inappropriate.

I respect the 'Ardboyz right to use your gaming space.  In fact, I'm glad they do, since their continued business helps keep the basement free and available for the rest of us. However, just because they have the space reserved doesn't give them any right to boss other paying customers around--let alone the right to lecture or abuse us. I would greatly appreciate it if you could remind them of this fact.

Thanks you for your time.

Sincerely,

Eli Meyer
    Pandemonium customer for 10+ years

Now, Eli is a really good guy and has been pretty much a perfect customer for a long time.  I firmly believe his description of the events of last night are true and not exaggerated. The fact that he has been treated so badly infuriates me.

After some thought, I have decided the following things:

1) the reasons for giving the ArdBoyz the Mid and Far arena are still valid and that policy will be kept in place, however-

2) only an officer of the ArdBoyz is allowed to POLITELY INFORM non-members that the space is reserved after 6pm for use for the ArdBoyz.  If the customer is still there at 6:30, the officer can then ask a member of the store staff to actually shift the customer.  No ArdBoy has the right or privilege to tell any store customer what to do, where to go, or how to act.  If there is a problem, get a Pandemonium employee.

3) to recompense Eli for the bad behavior of the ArdBoyz, Eli gets exclusive use of the Dining Table of Doom on Thursday nights for a solid year (to 08/20/11).  It is HIS table for the next year.  He is EMPEROR of the Dining Room Table of Doom. Even if he is not there, no ArdBoy can use it without his express permission.  Note: the Ard Boyz will still be responsible for tidying up the area around the Dining Room Table of Doom at the end of the evening.

4) for every customer complaint the store receives regarding the behavior of the Ard Boyz, they will lose use of one table in the Mid or Far Arena for a year. 

I am very sorry to do this, but I cannot allow such behavior.   I know most of you to be great guys, but there are a few wrong-headed individuals who cannot be allowed to abuse my other store customers. 

I hope you understand.

Sincerely,

Tyler

Offline Sword Brethren

• InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
  • Luis Rivero
Re: Changes to the Arrangement Between the 'Ard Boyz and Pandemonium
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:42:13 PM »
Tyler, 

Shawn is going to call you to discuss as he was the person who apparently spoke with Eli.
Remember: if you see something, say nothing. And drink to forget. - Cecil, NVCR

Offline Sword Brethren

• InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
  • Luis Rivero
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 06:52:23 PM »
Shawn spoke with Tyler.  He will post later tonight when he gets to a PC.
Remember: if you see something, say nothing. And drink to forget. - Cecil, NVCR

Offline foehammer

• Kartografar
  • Non-Members
  • ardBoy
  • Josh Danker
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »
Note: the Ard Boyz will still be responsible for tidying up the area around the Dining Room Table of Doom at the end of the evening.
I have not been witness to previous complaints, and do not know what happened on the event in question. If Tyler believe Eli deserves that table for 1 year for his troubles, then so be it. However, I take exception to this statement.

We make it the responsibility of each an every 'Ardboy to clean up after themselves on Thursdays. Yes, at times we have faltered on that account, but I believe when that happens we take measures to try and correct it. However, I will not, by just being a member of the 'Ardboyz, be this person's personal janitor. That's degrading, and makes me question spending money in this store again, despite the fact that I always make an effort to not buy online and suport my local gaming store.

He can have the table. If he is present in the basement, like everyone else he should be responsible for cleaning up his own mess.

Offline Perturabo

• Warboss
  • InnerCircle
  • ardBoy
  • Shawn M Burke
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 10:13:33 PM »
I spoke with Tyler and I wish I read this first.I tried to explain to him it is not as cut and dry as this Eli says. I was polite when I first spoke with them. I didn't get mad until I was waved off like I was a little bitch. But it's a magic players word against mine and like always magic wins. I agree with what Josh says about is being talked down to and treated like little kids. If Eli makes a mess we are not his maids. Plus the fact that anyone can
Make a comment about us and we lose a table,come on now. Honestly it really does not seem that we are welcomed there anymore. I'm outta town and will follow up and add  more when I return. Something needs to be done.
When you walk up to opportunities door, don't knock it.....
Kick that B**tch in ,smile and introduce yourself.

Offline NallTWD

• Meganob
  • Freebootaz
  • ardBoy
  • Tyler Barg
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 01:05:06 AM »
A single customer's word goes against our entire club?  I'm sorry, but with the way this is phrased, we are now the personal gaming attendants of this one card player for a year.  If that's how our club night is going to go, there will be some solid backlash from tabletop gamers and making purchases, regardless of what we say. 
Death from a creature that has HOOVES FOR HANDS.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.